The below painting was by John McNie, dated May 1955, who died peacefully, in his 90s, at Belhaven Hospital, on Saturday December 9 2017.
He was the son of local postman Willie McNie. John was very much a local, minor celebrity, author of small book on our Parish Kirk, quite a gentleman. He was an authority on local history and gave guided tours of the graveyard. He was born in Victoria Street and moved by the age of five to Boroughdales. He worked for the Ordnance Survey and stayed in the town for many years, retiring to Hallowdoon on Roxburghe Park. His wife Annie was a gem of a woman, predeceasing him. They had no children.
Frederick Lee (pinxit 1835)
A hunting scene at Little Spott with Lochend House in the right rear background.
Willie "Topsy" (nickname for some members of the Marr family) Marr was born on Christmas
Day 1919 in Glasgow. His father Robert was born at Custom House Square in 1886 and served on the lifeboat in the early days of
the 20th century. Willie's parents, married in 1915 and moved to Govan (for shipyard work for Bob). Topsy returned to Dunbar as
a 12 year old in 1931. Living firstly, of all places, on Lamer Island then Tait's close and finally to a newly built 7 Parsonspool,
youngest sister Helen was the only sibling born in Dunbar.
Sadly brother Robin was a casualty at sea in World War 2. Willie's passion for art and
pottery was evident from an early age. Whether it was his time at the harbour or aboard the Jacob George his favourite subjects
were from this area and sometimes completely done from memory. Nevertheless his most requested scene was Preston Mill.
He painted in a number of styles and in a range of mediums - his self-portrait captured with the aid of a mirror defied convention but met with his customary appeal.
In his latter years he still made his customary visits to the shore.
Thanks to Christine Brown for allowing us to copy them.