KNOX ANDERSON ARCHIVE
We are pleased & honoured to announce the advent of the Knox Anderson archive to our site. Tom Anderson, under whose aegis this collection is managed, spent many years both living on and working as a shop keeper on Dunbar's once busy thoroughfare and to say he is an authority on the subject is an understatement. It is fitting his first "feature" is the High Street through the 20th century.
And for seconds perhaps The Pool ?
The small grocery and sweet shop owned by J & M Scott in the East Port. The steps access the Mechanics room.
Stark’s garage, now demolished, but the shop at the side, No19 is now the present Post Office.
Louis Allen, Household & China, Toys Etc. 21 High St. Photo.L.A.D.D.S.
The Main’s café at No.35 with Peter Heatly, Gents clothier, next door.
Borthwick’s Fruit & vegetable shop at No. 43. Next door to Spence the Clothier at No.47
The High St. showing D. Smith ,Clothier, J. Malcolm, Grocer and Spence, Draper.
St. George Hotel Built 1628 Renovated 1828 The premier coaching inn of the Burgh. Now converted into flats
The grocers shop at 72 High Street before A. T. Smith.
Lipton’s grocery store at the corner of Silver and High streets. Aitchison the fishmonger next door.
house with the Police station on the right. Kinnach
the watchmaker on the left and part of Main the saddler’s shop.
A side view
of Fraser the grocer at No. 77 also Craig
the fish merchant.
Temperance Hotel at 95 High St. occupied the site
where the Bank of Scotland now stands. The next door flats, now demolished, have boards up advertising a business run from each house. The lower one is for A.W. Anderson, Watchmaker.
hotel was replaced by Craig’s building which in
turn is now occupied by the Bank of Scotland No.96
The British Linen Bank on the right, now the Bank of Scotland. No.95.
97-99 High St. A large shop selling
a big and varied selection of goods.
Royal Bank of Scotland 105 High St. Photo. L.A.D.D.S.
The Co-op Drapery & Household Dept. 109 High St. Photo L.A.D.D.S.
baker who became provost and after his death a room at the library was
dedicated to him.
The shop is decorated to celebrate the Coronation of King Edward V1
at 117, Law’s Hairdresser 119, and
Winter's Grocery at 121 High St. Carr’ Shoe
Newsagent at 125, The Lido Café 131,
and Robertson the Ironmonger at 135 High St. Photo. L.A.D.D.S
The new block at 121 High Street, Newsagent Thompson, Hairdresser Law and Grocer Winter with Togneri’s ice cream Café, the Lido at No.131.
Shop at 121 High Street
High St. view showing Samuel & Winter, grocers, J.Cowan, dairy, Dicksons, Household goods and Grays, painters.
Danish Dairy Co. at No. 137.
to left Robertson the ironmonger, the Kilt shop
the Restrooms containing toilets and the town library, then down to Dickson’s Home Stores.
end of the High Street before restoration and rebuilding.
Folkarde’s Grocery shop at the corner of High and Victoria Streets.
Crossing the street to the Co-op butcher with the tearoom upstairs, the grocery shop was to. the left of the picture. No. 140 High. St
Early photograph of the Lorne Hotel No.134 and the shop occupied by the Buttercup Dairy No.138 on the left.
Hotel showing Smith, the baker’s shop and Mackay’s sweet shop at Street level.
photograph of the site of the Muir shop. The shop front went through many
view of the Muigrocery at left No.124.r shop, used as a gift shop.
112 High St.
Looking towards the West Port showing Melvilles shop at 116 high street, Kepting, Watchmaker 108,Stewart,Draper 104, McNab, Dyers 100 and Malcolm, Grocers at 98.
Purves drapery shop at the corner of West Port. One of the earliest photographs of a Dunbar shop. These premises were demolished and replaced. See next picture.
The new!! building at 96 High Street owned an occupied by brothers Alec. and John Tait, Butchers
the grocers at 92 High Street, later Purves took over. J. Ramsay, Boot and Shoemaker at No. 88
Mr Nelson farmed at Newhouse and sold his produce in the Greengrocers fruit and sweet shop
This popular inn was run by Brothers Ollie and Willie Pott after the death of their father John. 72 High St.
George Graham, the baker, is shown outside his shop at 66 High street. He was T.B.Knox’s son in law. The building is decorated for King George V jubilee celebrations.
took over the business from his father James who had taken over the business
from his brother David. David Knox brought a Printing press from Duns in 1849.
A view of
the Knox shop in the 1930,s when it was run by T.B.Knox’s daughter Elizabeth
Anderson. Bunty Mason, shop assistant,
draper in the doorway of his shop at 60 High Street. The other gentleman is Mr
Downie’s shop at 56 High street. One of two printers in Dunbar at the same time, the other being T.B.Knox
the Post Office at Abbeylands, the doorway
was on the High Street frontage.
quality photograph showing Kirkwoods garage
Caledonian Playhouse cinema in Abbey Road with Birrell Confectioners and a photo shop later Shiell’s Shoe shop
9 West Port
A. Clark’s shop in
the West Port making and repairing boots and shoes. No information known
about the shop, with saloons, next door
G. Cunningham was a large building firm who built many of the red sandstone houses in Dunbar. His office at Bayswell Rd.
fish and chip shop at the corner of Castle Street and Victoria Street.
General store at the end of Cats Row owned by Mr Reilly
Grahame’s branch shop
on right of his residence, Cromwell House, at the Old Harbour.
photographs from the Knox Anderson Archive
5 High St.
office No. 15
Dental Practice No. 17
Clothes shop No. 19 now the Post Office